Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Paul E. Riffel Tampa Estate Planning Attorney

Tampa Family Law Modifications Attorney

At the time of your divorce or custody determination, the order set forth by the Hillsborough County family court may have been fair and reasonable. However, we all know that circumstances can change; therefore, a previously reasonable divorce agreement may now be insufficient or may place an undue financial burden on you. In this type of situation, you have the right to request a modification of certain provisions of your agreement from the family court.

The court will not simply grant any modification for any reason, however, and Florida law sets out requirements for the court when reviewing this type of request. Fortunately, experienced Tampa family modifications attorney Paul E. Riffel understands the relevant laws and can assist you in obtaining the modification that you deserve.

Common Reasons For Modification In Tampa

Several different provisions of a divorce decree can later be modified if there is a justifiable reason to do so. Some common examples include spousal support, child support, and child custody and visitation. There are many changes that may occur in your life that may create the need for a modification though the law requires that you demonstrate a substantial change in circumstances for approval. Some life events that may qualify as a substantial change in circumstances include as follows:

  • Losing a job;
  • Failure of a business or starting a new business;
  • Remarriage or a subsequent divorce;
  • Serious injury or illness;
  • Mental or physical disability;
  • Injury, illness, or disability of the child;
  • Other changes in the child’s needs;
  • Child becomes emancipated or there is another change in dependent status;
  • One parent plans to relocate out of Florida or to another area of Florida; or

If you have experienced any of the above and would like to request a modification, please contact our office to discuss your options as soon as possible.

Challenging A Modification Request

In many situations, your former spouse may request a modification when a substantial change in circumstances did not exist. Too many individuals try to greatly reduce or even eliminate spousal or child support by voluntarily quitting their job or being purposely underemployed. However, the court should not grant a modification based on self-imposed circumstances and it is your job to challenge the reasons for the modification request. Skilled modifications attorney Paul Riffel knows how to successfully challenge an unreasonable modification request so that you continue to receive the support you and your child deserve.

An Experienced Tampa Family Modifications Attorney Can Help You

Obtaining a necessary modification is often important to ensure that you can comply with a court order or that your family receives adequate support. Additionally, child custody and visitation orders should be modified to make sure the child’s best interests are still met while still ensuring that your parental rights are protected. Family lawyer Paul E. Riffel has helped numerous clients in the Tampa, Brandon, and Riverview areas obtain the modifications they need from the family courts or to defend against unreasonable modification requests. If you believe you need a modification of a divorce agreement, please call our Tampa Modifications Attorneys today at 813-265-1185 to schedule an appointment.

Share This Page:

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation